FAQs About Property Damage Claims In A Car Accident 

Car accidents can cause a lot of chaos. But one thing that is common in all cases is uncertainty. Most people do not know what to do and end up making the wrong choices. If you have been in a traffic accident, you should first contact a Stockton car accident attorney as soon as possible. 

Car accidents can significantly damage your vehicle and other valuable property inside it. While most property damage cases are resolved privately between the parties, that is not always the case. Here are some common queries that you may have regarding your property damage claim. 

FAQ about property damage claims in a car accident 

  • What is the first step to filing a property damage claim after a car accident?

If you decide to file a property damage claim after a car accident, you first need to contact the other party’s insurance company. They will ask some questions and require proof, so make sure you are prepared. 

  • What am I entitled to recover?

Since every car accident case is different, it is not possible to determine the exact amount. The amount depends on various factors and the unique facts of your case. However, the basic rule in Stockton is that the other party owes you the difference between how much your vehicle was worth when you bought it and its worth after the accident. The value may be determined by calculating the repair costs or the car’s fair market value. 

  • Can I choose where I want to repair my vehicle?

Yes. The car accident victim has the right to choose the car repair services of their shop. However, make sure that the shop is licensed. 

  • When is a car totaled?

If your car is damaged so much that the repair costs exceed 70% of the car’s market value, then the insurance company deems the car totaled. For example, if your car is worth $50,000 and the estimated repair cost is more than $35,000, the insurance company will give you the car’s total value rather than paying for the damage cost. 

  • Am I entitled to a rental car while my vehicle is being repaired?

When the other party is at fault for the accident, they are required to compensate you for all your damages. This includes your vehicle costs as well your transportation. You can ask the defendant to provide you with rental car services for as long as your vehicle is being repaired. Since they have caused the inconvenience, they are liable to take care of your commute. 

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button